Home About Me Freebies Image Map

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Falling in Love...Book Study



Today I'm linking up with Dianna from Sassy, Savvy, Simple Teaching to bring you a new book study.


I have to say, I'm pretty proud of myself. I usually only read one educational book a summer. This summer, I'm on to my third!! Which is insane for me! Book studies and sharing my thoughts with you is so motivating.


Dianna suggested that we read "Falling in Love with Close Reading" by Christopher Lehman and Kate Roberts.

 I'm embarrassed to admit that I had no idea what "close reading" was until I read the first chapter. Honestly, I think I was thinking cloze reading. I thought perhaps it was an American word for cloze. But obviously I was wrong. LOL.



So once I found out that "cloze reading" and "close reading" are two different things, this book makes a lot more sense. I also realized that I have been doing close reading...without realizing I was doing close reading and maybe just not well.

Although this books seems to focus on Common Core, I'm hoping that I will be able to take a lot out of it and use it in my own classroom in Ontario. 

So what is close reading? So far my understand is that close reading is looking closely at text. While rereading, the reader is using a lens to look at individual words, sentence fluency, meaning and syntax.

I personally have found when we have done our own version of close reading in my classroom that we lose the enjoyment in the text and that students are less engaged. 

However, Christopher and Kate believe that if it is done right student engagement and enjoyment is improved. 

I'm really looking forward to reading this book. I hope you stick with me throughout the summer.

Don't forget to enter the giveaway! You can win a copy of the book and a $10 TPT Gift Card.

Make sure you stop by my friend's blogs and see what they have to say about chapter 1.


post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment